[Samba] Re: Will *not* be providing RedHat 9 packages for Samba 3.0.25

Thorkil Olesen thorkil at pip.dknet.dk
Thu Mar 22 10:08:34 GMT 2007

Gerald (Jerry) Carter <jerry <at> samba.org> writes:

> I will leave the RedHat-9 packaging files in for the 3.0.25pre2
> release that we are currently working on, but unless I
> hear an outcry of objection or get new package maintainer,
> the RedHat-9 files will be removed before the final 3.0.25
> release.

Somehow I understand your decision, but personally I regret it. I run SAMBA
built from the source RPM on an old RH 7.1. It is still much easier to build
from the package than building from the tar doing all configuration manually.

> This does *not* affect the packaging files for Fedora/RHEL/CentOS
> distros which will continued to be maintained in the packaging/RHEL/
> directory of the source tree.

How big is the difference actually? I some cases an SRPM made for RHEL will
build directly on an older RH as well.

Thorkil Olesen,
Hanstholm, Denmark.