[Samba] Active directory, winbind, and distribution groups (as opposed to security groups)

Vincent Deffontaines vincent.deffontaines at inl.fr
Wed Mar 21 14:42:38 GMT 2007

simo wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 13:41 +0100, Vincent Deffontaines wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> This is about a samba installation plugged on Active directory.
>>
>> I would like to bounce on :
>> http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2005-January/099472.html
>>
>> I understand distribution groups are not "real" groups, as Unix people
>> mean them. Distribution groups are, by design, only related to mailing
>> lists, or so.
>>
>> My question is pretty simple :
>> Is there a way to list the security groups of a domain?
>>
>> "getent group" as well as "wbinfo -g" list both security and
>> distribution groups.
>>
>> Either a command line switch on wbinfo, or a smb.conf parameter would be
>> good, in order to list only security groups.
>>
>> Since I have not found this in the docs, does this exist? Does this
>> question make sense?
>
> If getent group lists distribution groups, we may have a bug, are you
> sure of that?
>
> Simo.

Versions in use here are :
- Windows server 2003 SP1
- Samba / winbind 3.0.14a (from debian sarge).

I just tested it with 3.0.22 (from ubuntu dapper), and distribution
groups *don't* show up.

Sorry for opening the topic before testing this on a recent release.

This topic is closed AFAI am concerned, and hopefully contains keywords
for future generations ;)