[Samba] Can't change password change dates with PDBEDIT

Felipe Augusto van de Wiel felipe at paranacidade.org.br
Mon Mar 19 13:31:52 GMT 2007

Hi Boaz,

	I'm using LDAP as a backend so YMMV.

On 03/16/2007 12:10 PM, Boaz Bezborodko wrote:
> I'm setting up a Samba server using CentOS 4's (RedHat
> Enterprise Linux) standard version (v.3.0101411).  I

	Hmmm, you should upgrade your samba version. Not sure
if it will solve your problem, but I'm using 3.0.24 and the
information of this message is based on this version. Anyway,
3.0.14 and 3.0.2x has lots of improvements and fixes that are
worthwhile.

> want to be able to force users to change their password
> upon first logging in and to have to change them after
> a certain period of time (per user, not system-wide).
>
> The problem is that the pdbedit commands don't seem to
> be registering at all in the database.  If I enter the
> following command:
> pdbedit --pwd-must-change-time="2010-01-01" --time-format="%Y-%m-%d"

	Not sure if it is a bug in pdbedit, but there is an
unusual behaviour of samba with regards to passwd fields,
here is a message where I explain the behaviour:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2007-February/129890.html

> I still get:
> Password last set:    Fri, 16 Mar 2007 10:02:06 GMT
> Password can change:  Fri, 16 Mar 2007 10:02:06 GMT
> Password must change: Mon, 18 Jan 2038 22:14:07 GMT
>
> How do I control login times?

	Basically, even when changing it per-user, you need
to respect that global policy to get things working as
expected. I've been adding users and doind the pwd dance
for a few months now, and everything is working fine.

	Kind regards,
- --