[Samba] Office products Locking issues

Michael Heydon michaelh at jaswin.com.au
Sun Mar 18 23:34:39 GMT 2007

> In the past months I had similar locking problems: outlook running on
> a client PC, outlook.pst file stored on a (private) network share. The
> client PC would sometimes hang, and the user would then reboot the PC.
> After the reboot, Outlook complained that the outlook.pst file could
> not be opened because it was already locked by someone else (in fact
> it was the "old" smbd process of that same user that didn't notice the
> client did reboot).
> The solution was always to manually kill (-TERM) the "hanging" smbd
> process.
> The situation got a bit better when I disabled oplocks entirely, but I
> still get that error sometimes (yes, we *almost* fixed the PC hardware
> issues :-).

Just as a note, MS don't recommend storing PST files on a network and
from personal experience I tend to agree. Some times it's the lesser of
two evils but in the long term you might want to think about a different
solution.
> Did you have some PC-freeze problems that the "reset on zero vc"
> config parameter solved ?
We didn't have problems with freezing, we had problems with the network.
It had the same effect, the client disconnected, the server thought it
was still there.

> Did the use of this parameter have some drawbacks ?
It hasn't caused any problems that I'm aware of and it has reduced the
number of support calls, but I wouldn't consider it an alternative to
fixing the root of the problem.

I believe it does cause problems if you have multiple connections coming
into the server from behind a NAT connection and it may also play up if
you have a terminal server.

Overall I think it is a neat option and in most simple networks it is
worth having, just be wary that it may hide problems that will bite you
down the track.

-- Michael Heydon