[Samba] Samba / NFS performance

Alexander Gelf adg at gelf.com
Sun Mar 18 19:27:42 GMT 2007

I have the following network configuration:

Server
    FreeBSD 6.2
    P4 3Ghz, 1GB RAM
    Samba 3.0.24 (options: WITH_ADS, WITH_PAM, WITH_SENDFILE, WITH_UTMP,
WITH_WINBIND)
    Standard FreeBSD NFS Server
    Adaptec 2410SA controller with 4 drives running RAID5
    Broadcom GigE

Client
   Windows XP MCE
    Microsoft SFU 3.5 running NFS client over UDP

The client and the server are connected to the same GigE switch.

When I copy one large file (10GB) from the client to the server over an
NFS mount I get an average performance of 18MB/s.
The same file copied from the same directory on the client to the same
directory on the server over a Samba mount averages 4Mb/s.

Any ideas on why is there such a huge performance difference and what
can I do to improve Samba performance are appreciated.

Regards,
AG