[Samba] Office products Locking issues

Marcello Romani mromani at ottotecnica.com
Fri Mar 16 15:13:27 GMT 2007

Michael Heydon ha scritto:

> I had similar problems in the past where a flaky network would lead to a
> users connection dropping out. I used "reset on zero vc", it greatly
> improved the situation (and we are slowly replacing the dodgy
> gear/cabling).
>
> Obviously there is something causing the problem in the first place and
> you should try to track down what the problem is and fix it, in the mean
> time reset on zero vc might help make it more manageable.
>
> -- Michael Heydon

In the past months I had similar locking problems: outlook running on a
client PC, outlook.pst file stored on a (private) network share. The
client PC would sometimes hang, and the user would then reboot the PC.
After the reboot, Outlook complained that the outlook.pst file could not
be opened because it was already locked by someone else (in fact it was
the "old" smbd process of that same user that didn't notice the client
did reboot).
The solution was always to manually kill (-TERM) the "hanging" smbd process.
The situation got a bit better when I disabled oplocks entirely, but I
still get that error sometimes (yes, we *almost* fixed the PC hardware
issues :-).

Thanks to your post, I'm considering putting this configuration option
in place.

Did you have some PC-freeze problems that the "reset on zero vc" config
parameter solved ?

Did the use of this parameter have some drawbacks ?

Thank you.

--
Marcello Romani
Responsabile IT