[Samba] Need some explanation on Samba/NFS locks handle

Fri Mar 16 14:45:02 GMT 2007

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 03:29:32PM +0100, Alain.Gorlier at altissemiconductor.com wrote:

> Looking at the open.c samba code, there seems to be no check / no error
> (sharing violation) returned to the smb client when the file is already
> locked by an NFS client.
> - So, even if a file is opened and locked by an NFS client, Samba let a
> smb client access the file ? Is there a parameter to change this behaviour
> ?

What kind of lock would the NFS client issue? I don't know
enough about NFS locking to really tell whether this is
possible at all and which semantics those locks would really
have.

Does this work across different NFS clients? And if yes,
which syscall are used there?

Volker