[Samba] Question about AD user/ACL mapping

Knox, Bill wknox at mitre.org
Thu Mar 15 19:16:47 GMT 2007

Yes, in the security-tab when I am trying to add an ACL to a file on
the Samba share.

Let me extend the example a bit to explain what we are doing:

The server has a local username freddy, and the domain contains a user
fred_smith
The usernamemap file contains:
freddy = DOMAIN\fred_smith

When I try to add permissions for fred_smith in the security tab on
Windows, I get an error in the log file like this:

[2007/03/14 15:17:38, 0] smbd/posix_acls.c:create_canon_ace_lists(1399)
  create_canon_ace_lists: unable to map SID
S-1-5-21-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXX to uid or gid.

However, I can access shares as fred_smith and my access gets mapped to
the freddy user, and I can run wbinfo -n fred_smith on the box to get a
SID back.

When viewing ACLs in the tab that are set on the filesystem itself,
they come back as "<username> (Unix User\<username>)" in the listing as
well.

It would also work if there were a tool to manually populate the
winbindd_idmap.tdb file - does such a thing exist that is fairly
useable? What are the implications for my interaction with the AD if I
did something as screwball as that?

Thanks for the help.

                  Bill Knox
                  Lead Operating Systems Programmer/Analyst
                  The MITRE Corporation