[Samba] Samba kerberos more time sensitive that Windows?

Jason Haar Jason.Haar at trimble.co.nz
Thu Mar 15 18:47:12 GMT 2007

Jeremy Allison wrote:
>> I'd have to go back and check traces again.  It's been a while
>> since I looked at it.  Is you patch assuming then that the
>> Samba server has correct time and the client does not?
>> I think the original problem was that the Samba server's clock
>> was off.
>>

> No I checked with Jason. The client is off in his case.

It was a Win2K3 client with its clock hours off connecting to a Samba
server (with Win2K3 domain controllers at the back end) - with correct
clocks.

It was a nasty case. The problem was that it was a CentOS4 server
running Win2K3 as as virtual server under VMware. There is a bug/issue
between current vmware-server instances and 2.6.9* series Linux kernels
that means VMware can't emulate "time signals"(?) correctly. End result
was that even though the Win2K3 client had a ntp agent installed, it was
unable to keep it's clock in sync. We also have an identical issue with
running virtual Linux in the same environment. The syslog is filled with
ntp errors about being unable to slew the clock.

So we're going to run VMware under Fedora instead - at least that kernel
is less than 2 years old ;-)

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417