[Samba] Samba Authentication Using Novell eDirectory via LDAP

budhead at hughes.net budhead at hughes.net
Thu Mar 15 16:48:02 GMT 2007

Hello,

We have a RHEL 4 Update 4 server that was configured to store its
Samba passwords in eDirectory via LDAP.  This was accomplished by
adding the following three lines to the [Global] section of smb.conf:

ldap admin dn = cn=admin,o=budget
ldap suffix = o=budget
passdb backend = ldapsam:ldaps://SERVER_NAME:636

After adding the lines and saving the file the admin password is
stored using smbpasswd -w, the /etc/samba/smbpasswd was renamed to
old_smbpasswd, and the smb service is started.

This worked as desired, allowing Samba user passwords to be stored in
the corresponding user's eDirectory user object.  An additional effect,
although I'm not sure if it was expected or not, is that the password
can be changed by the Novell Change Password facility available by
doing a Ctrl+Alt+Del from a user's Windows workstation.  The server
appears as a available resource, and the password can be changed along
with changing the Novell password, keeping them in sync.

As we were not ready to permanently effect this change we undid
everything, removing the three lines and renaming the smbpasswd back to
its original name.  What is unexpected is that we can now change the
Samba passwords being stored in /etc/samba/smbpasswd using the same
Novell Change Password facility.  While that's not necessarily a bad
thing, I appreciate anyone who can explain why it is working.

What we're stumped by is we've now set up a second RHEL 4 server that
we believe we've set up identically to the original, and it does store
the Samba password in eDirectory, but we don't see the server in the
Novell Change Password facility so that our users can change their own
Samba passwords.  It's been four months between implementations, and
while we documented the process, perhaps we forgot something.  Does
anyone know why this is not working for our second server, or what we
may have forgotten to do?

Our full smb.conf file follows.  The only thing I would point out is
we copied the file from the other server, changing only the
SERVER_NAME, and the name of the first share definition [NEWSAS].  We
did not change the idmap uid or gid--is that a problem?

[global]
        dns proxy = no
        encrypt passwords = yes
        workgroup = workgroup
        security = user
        idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
        idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
        template shell = /bin/false
        winbind use default domain = no
        ldap admin dn = cn=admin,o=budget
        ldap suffix = o=budget
        passdb backend = ldapsam:ldaps://SERVER_NAME:636
[NEWSAS]
        comment  = new sas server
        path = /
        read only = no