[Samba] Move local profile to domain profile.

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Thu Mar 15 00:06:04 GMT 2007

Dennis McLeod wrote:
> Ok, I got the W2K3 resource kit tool to move my local profile to my domain
> profile (moveuser.exe). Didn't really work that cleanly.
> Even though I used the /k (keep the local account), it didn't really. It
> seemed to change the permissions on MOST of the files.
> It didn't really move the files either. It's just pointed my profile (or
> parts of it) to the existing folder. Can't really go back now.
> It didn't do My Documents and lower.
> I had to log out, log is as domain administrator, and take ownership of
> those files.
> Even then, it lost some of my passwords (which is ok with me).
> Does anyone have a nice CLEAN way to migrate the local profile to a domain
> profile?
> (something automated, perhaps...)
> How about using the right click on My computer on the desktop, advanced tab,
> User Profiles button, and copy to.
> Has anyone tried that?
> I supposed I'll need to re-image my machine and try it...
> Dennis

When you log into a domain that allows roaming profiles, your profile
gets copied to the server. There isn't really a need for much more than
patience because it can take a long while, depending on the size of your
"My Documents". If you have the profiles on another server, I've been
able to copy them without anything strange happening.

Just make sure that "profile acls = yes" is set in your smb.conf and all
the other smb.conf settings for roaming profiles are correct.