Re: [Samba] can´t access share by name, but on ip

Giovanni Cambria cambria at sisted.it
Wed Mar 14 16:42:35 GMT 2007

Hi, Johnny
I'm just a beginner, not a guru. Perhaps my experience could help you.

You can have the same problem on a Windows workgroup (peer-to-peer network,
no domain controller) when 2 windows boxes reside on different workgroups.
This happens because NetBIOS can't resolve names in address across different
workgroups. You should verify if your DNS "knows" your windows box.

Otherwise, adding a line like this:

192.168.1.23    machine-name

in the c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file helps windows to resolve
name in IP.

Let me know.

Giovanni  :-)