[Samba] Samba PDC - upgrading from winxp clients to linux (OpenSUSE) clients

Lake-Wind lake-wind at comcast.net
Mon Mar 12 15:19:12 GMT 2007

Felipe Augusto van de Wiel wrote:
> On 03/11/2007 12:51 PM, Lake-Wind wrote:
> [...]
>> My question is this: How do I set up the OpenSUSE clients to
>> have the same behavior as the Windows XP clients. They need to
>> store their profiles both locally on the client and on the
>> server in the existing users home directory. Authentication
>> for the existing PDC is smbpasswd.
>
> 	My first idea would be: NFS. If it is not possible, you
> should try pam_mount, you would be able to mount the home once
> the logon happens and that should solve the problem.
>
> 	The real problem will come up if you need to have a HOT
> copy of local $HOME and $SERVERHOME, that could be tricky to
> implement and you would probably need to use a distributed file
> system, but I'm not really sure what would be the best solution
> in that case.
>

>> Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.
>> Thank you in advance!
>
> 	Kind regards,

Thank you for responding to my question. After reading your
response, I have come up with a possible solution but I need
help in implementing it. At this point, the only reason for
the server is login authentication and centralized backups for
all home directories and the shared directory.

Here's my plan: I'll share the home directories on the server
with NFS, mount the respective home directory on the client
computer in a directory OTHER than home. Then create a shell
script that would sync the local home directory (hidden files
and all) on the client with the respective home directory on
the server during log out.

I believe that is what happens when Windows XP logs out or
shuts down. That's when the profile data is copied from the
local machine to the server. If I can replicate that with a
shell script, I'll be all set.

Is it possible to have a shell script run automatically that
would overwrite the users home directory on the server when
logging out of KDE  on the local machine? If so, this might be
the solution I am looking for.

Thanks Again.