[Samba] write list doesn't override read only paramater

Jason M. Kusar jkusar at swordofthespirit.org
Mon Mar 12 00:37:10 GMT 2007

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up a share that is readable by everyone, but writable
by only a few.  From my understanding, this should work:

[audio]
        path = /tank/media/Audio
        comment = Audio Files
        write list = sound, @"Domain Admins", @"Associate Admins"
        force user = data
        force group = other
        read only = Yes

The user sound (who is in the Windows Domain that this server is a
member of) should be able to write to the share.  The local user data
has write permissions on the directory.  The user sound is able to
connect and read, but not write.  If I change read only to No, the sound
user can write to the share, but so can everyone else.  Here is my
complete config file for reference:

[global]
        workgroup = EX
        realm = EXAMPLE.COM
        server string = media.example.com
        security = ADS
        password server = 192.168.0.32
        log level = 3
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m
        max log size = 50
        printcap name = cups
        preferred master = No
        local master = No
        ldap ssl = no
        idmap uid = 10000-20000
        idmap gid = 10000-20000
        winbind separator = +
        winbind enum users = Yes
        winbind enum groups = Yes
        winbind use default domain = Yes
        printing = cups
        print command = lpr -P'%p' %s; rm %s
        lpq command = lpq -P'%p'
        lprm command = lprm -P'%p' %j
        lppause command = lp -i '%p-%j' -H hold
        lpresume command = lp -i '%p-%j' -H resume
        queuepause command = disable '%p'
        queueresume command = enable '%p'

[audio]
        path = /tank/media/Audio