[Samba] Is anything special needed for connecting two linux computers?

Tomáš Hnyk tomashnyk at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 17:41:05 GMT 2007

Hello, I would like to use Samba for sharing files between two linux
computers (both Ubuntu 6.10). I want samba, not NFS, since occasionally
some windows computers connect to the network as well.
Is there anything special that needs to be done in addition for normal
setup used for windows<>linux configuration?
I use the same smb.conf file on both machines:

When I run smbtree, both computers list only their shares.
smb://ip_address_of_the_computer works locally, but not for the other
computer (over network) .The two computers are on the same subnet and can
ping each other. I think I am missing somthing basic here, but I have been
strugling with it for several days now without any advance, so thanks for
any advice.
[global]
    workgroup = UBAKA
    server string = bill