[Samba] printing problem

Martin Zielinski mz at seh.de
Fri Mar 9 13:11:58 GMT 2007

Roland_Lepper at Liteonit.com schrieb:

> I'm testing a printserver with Samab/ Cups.
>
> Every time I want to upload the driver to samba for printing I get the following error:
>
> "Printer settings could not be saves. Access denied"
>
> I chmod 777 the driver directory and spool directory.
> I gave specified the user as printer admin in the share.
> My firewall is disabled.
>
> Why is it still giving me the access denied error?

Possible reasons:
1) The driver wants to do some initialization which fails. So: which driver?
2) Your might be using and old and buggy samba version.
3) You have no "W32X86" directory in your driver directory
4) You "printer admin" authentication fails for some reason

The first thing I'll allways suggest is to call
"Start->Run" from your windows menu and enter
"\\your samba server\print$".
Change into the W32X86 directory and try to create a file or folder.
If this fails, you have an authentication or unix rights issue.
Otherwise you'll have to go further with more details.

Regards,

Martin

Martin Zielinski             mz at seh.de
Software Development