[Samba] SAMBA Cluster or .......

Marcin Giedz giedz at arise.pl
Fri Mar 9 10:45:50 GMT 2007

Hello,

My question is quite related to this topic. Currently I work for one of
brokerages and prepare to set up domain for all employees. However I
must be sure that if my PDC fails my BDC will provide all connections to
roaming profiles and extra shares (to be mounted during the log in
process). But additionally I want to have only ONE storage place for
placing every shares and profiles. Lucky, I "found" one EMC disk array
to be used in this solution. My idea is connect 2 server (PDC and BDC)
over FCs to ONE storage. I don't have any extra software like "cluster
solution".

Now I have almost everything UP and running but found this "thread"
about "data consistency" where different Samba instances may cause data
corruption.
"....

Please NEVER export the same file space via different Samba
nodes, this leads to data corruption because the locks
propagated have the wrong semantics...."

Now I'm wondering if I can really do this? According to what Volker said
my solution/idea is (in a word) - BROKEN :(
Does this me that I must use some extra software between EMC storage and
Samba instances to prevent data lost? In my situation there is a  chance
that PDC and BDC will server THE SAME file for different users.

So looking at this topic I'd come to think that I CAN'T go production
with such prepared PDC + BDC + EMC storage - am I right? If yes would
anyone propose any solution for such idea?

Regards,
Marcin