[Samba] Shares on XP - Q from a Windoze Newbie:)

Morgan Read mstuff at read.org.nz
Fri Mar 9 09:45:21 GMT 2007

Hello list

(Objective is to run a nightly backup script for my partners XP Home
machine personal files under "Documents and Settings".)

This is more a need for confirmation (I hope) than a true Q.

Not too familiar with Windoze since 2000, so:

From these links:
http://lists.samba.org/archive/linux-cifs-client/2004-March/000126.html
http://lowendmac.com/lowendpc/box/2002/0916.html
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q307040

Where "root" is an "administrator" user and HOME is the "Documents and
Settings" directory, it seems that the problems I'm having using this
command to login and access a user account directory (under "Documents
and Settings") on my partners XP Home, are... XP Home?
/mount -t cifs //192.168.1.20/HOME /mnt/cifs -o user=root,password=root

And, the problems I'm having using this command to shutdown my partners
XP Home, are... XP Home?
net rpc shutdown -I 192.168.1.20 -U root%root

Can anyone confirm, if I replace XP Home with XP Pro (all things being
equal) these commands are the right ones to do what I want: mount a cifs
share that is a user account directory and shutdown the XP machine?

(I just don't want to disrupt my partner for no good reason...)

Thanks,
M.
--
Morgan Read
NEW ZEALAND

fedora: Freedom Forever!
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Overview

"By choosing not to ship any proprietary or binary drivers, Fedora does
differ from other distributions. ..."
Quote: Max Spevik
       http://interviews.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/08/17/177220

RMS on Fedora: