[Samba] Cannot Join Client to Domain

Jason Baker jbaker at glastender.com
Wed Mar 7 16:58:06 GMT 2007

I have a Samba PDC with LDAP running on a CentOs 4.4 machine. When I
first had it all configured, everything worked fine, but now for some
reason, login scripts will not run on the client (even though they have
access to the shares the login script is trying to map) and I cannot
join client machines to the domain automatically using the Windows XP
Network Identification Wizard. When I try to join a workstation to the
domain I get an error that tells me the "user name could not be found".
If I add the machine manually through LDAP Account Manager, then I can
join the machine to the domain. Also, when I join the machine and setup
the user, their home directory is mapped correctly to the drive letter I
selected (in this case U:) and the login script will appear on the
desktop, but it errors out claiming that the username is not found and
it prompts the user for their username and password, but if they enter
it in, it won't authenticate them, yet they can browse the network
shares and access them through network neighborhood as well as map
shares to drive letters manually. Here is my conf file:

[global]
#============General Settings===========
	unix charset = LOCALE
 	workgroup = mydomain
	netbios name = myserver
	server string = Domain Controller running %v
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
	interfaces = eth1, lo
	bind interfaces only = yes
	os level = 35
#========Domain Settings================
	preferred master = yes
	local master = yes
	domain master = yes
	security = user
	time server = yes
	username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
	wins support = yes
#=========Security======================
	encrypt passwords = yes
	pam password change = yes
	name resolve order = wins bcast hosts
	winbind nested groups = no
#	obey pam restrictions = yes
#	check password script = /usr/local/sbin/crackcheck -d /usr/lib/cracklib_dict
#---------------LDAP----------------
	passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://127.0.0.1/
	ldap passwd sync = Yes
	ldap suffix = dc=mydomain,dc=com
	ldap admin dn = cn=Manager,dc=mydomain,dc=com
	ldap ssl = no
	ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
	ldap user suffix = ou=People
	ldap machine suffix = ou=People
	ldap idmap suffix = ou=Idmap
	idmap backend = ldap:ldap://127.0.0.1/
   	idmap uid = 10000-20000
  	idmap gid = 10000-20000
	map acl inherit = yes
	add user script = /etc/smbldap-tools/smbldap-useradd -m "%u"
	#delete user script = /etc/smbldap-tools/smbldap-userdel "%u"
	add machine script = /etc/smbldap-tools/smbldap-useradd -w "%u"
	add group script = /etc/smbldap-tools/smbldap-groupadd -p "%g"
	#delete group script = /etc/smbldap-tools/smbldap-groupdel "%g"
	add user to group script = /etc/smbldap-tools/smbldap-groupmod -m "%u" "%g"
	delete user from group script = /etc/smbldap-tools/smbldap-groupmod -x "%u" "%g"
	set primary group script = /etc/smbldap-tools/smbldap-usermod -g "%g" "%u"
	domain logons = yes
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	log level = 1
	syslog = 0
	max log size = 50
	#smb ports = 139 445
	smb ports = 139
	hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 172.16.0.0/255.255.0.0
	# User profiles and home directories
	logon drive = U:
	logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
	logon script = %U.bat