[Samba] smbldap-useradd says "Error: modifications require authentication at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/smbldap_tools.pm line 1056."

Eric Knudstrup eric at knudstrup.org
Tue Mar 6 23:56:59 GMT 2007

Quoting Michael Heydon <michaelh at jaswin.com.au>:

> Hi Eric,
>
> This line here looks like the interesting bit to me.
>>
>> Mar  6 13:59:38 macallan slapd[4731]: conn=50 op=3 RESULT tag=103
>> err=8 text=modifications require authentication
> It looks like the useradd script is doing an anonymous bind, which is
> interesting since you mentioned that you used the populate script which
> should be using the same bind settings. have you reset any passwords?
> changed any acls? I would double check the bind DN and password in the
> smbldap-tools config.

I found that I had the smbldab_bind.conf passwords set to use hashes
instead of the plaintext password.  After I changed that I am able to
add new accounts, although hashed passwords in here would be useful :).
I also found that these scripts (even the latest 0.9.2 ones) are
incapable of using the new sambaDomain object, so I had to set it to
use the previous uidNumber object instead.
I should probably see if I can update openSuSE's wiki for 10.2...

Thanks,

Eric