[Samba] Shares losing group entries

Mostro Mostro mostro713 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 23:01:45 GMT 2007

Hello,

This my first post to this list. I just spent the last day an a half
building a Samba server for our corporate network. Our Windows file
server crashed so I stepped up and decided to go with Samba 3.023d on
Suse 10.2.

Anyway, I am using Winbindd to control access.  The problem I am
currently faced with has to do with security permissions sticking to
the share. From the Windows MMC I right click the share, go to the
security tab, select advanced and try to assign the "Domain Users"
group and a few others. After clicking ok all the way through I go
back in to verify an see my groups have been replaces with SIDs.

[relevent portion of smb.conf]

[global]

       workgroup = CAPRI
       netbios name = VENENCIA
       realm = BAMBINO.COM <http://bambino.com/>
       server string = File Server
       security = ADS
       encrypt passwords = yes
       log level = 5
       log file = /var/log/samba/%m
       max log size = 1000
       wins server = 10.20.1.2
       idmap uid = 20000 - 30000
       idmap gid = 20000 - 30000
       interfaces = eth0
       bind interfaces only = yes
       enable privileges = yes

[shared]
       comment = Shared (temporary storage)
       path = /community/shared
       read only = no
       store dos attributes = yes
       nt acl support = yes
       map acl inherit = yes
       inherit acls = yes
       valid users = @"CAPRI\Domain Users"

[directory for shared]

drwxrwxrwx+ 2 CAPRI\root CAPRI\domain users 4.0K 2007-03-05 20:59
shared

Thanks