[Samba] Re: Change user IDs on Samba PDC

Marco De Vitis starless at spin.it
Mon Mar 5 22:26:39 GMT 2007

On 05/03/2007 14:23, Felipe Augusto van de Wiel wrote:

> 	That's a little bit of a "hard guess". Windows can be an
> wild environment, and profiles can be even wilder. :-)

I know, I know ;).

>> PS: actually, I suppose I could simple delete both Linux and Samba users
>> and create them again, as long as I know their passwords or inform the
>> "human" users that they have to enter a new password... but what happens
>> to their roaming profiles? Are they completely lost? Can't I reuse them
>> by just changing file ownerships?
>
> 	There is a great chance that with new sid the workstation
> will create a new profile, isn't anything in the Samba Official
> HOWTO (Desktop Profile Management Chapter) about this?

No, as far as I can tell this situation is not covered there; it talks
about migrating profiles from a NT PDC, which is somehow different, and
I'm missing the pieces to link it all together.
Anyway I see mention of a "profiles" Samba tool which might be useful:
it changes all occurrences of a SID in a NT registry file. But I
strongly fear it could break something; it also only appears to support
NT, which probably means you're in for a headache if you use it on XP
profiles.

Anyway, I could avoid touching the SID, if I can make the Samba users
keep their SIDs while changing their Linux UIDs.
This is the first piece I'm missing: what is the link between Samba
users and Linux UIDs? What happens if I only change the UIDs? Can't I
just change some references to them in the Samba database?

PS: uhm, I now also noticed that the pdbedit command has -G and -U
arguments which should be able to change the user/group SID for a
user... If the only problem is the new SID, then maybe I could simply
set it like the old one this way.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

--
Ciao,