[Samba] Samba over SSH to Windows Vista

Richard D. Morey moreyr at missouri.edu
Mon Mar 5 06:47:55 GMT 2007

After having scoured the net for a way to do SMB over SSH with Windows,
I've tried everything I have found and I still can't get it to work.

I'm using Windows Vista as the client and FC6 with Samba 3.0.24-1 as the
server. I have set up a share and can successfully connect to that share
with no ssh tunnel.

I would like to tunnel SMB over SSH, so here is what I have tried:

1. Disabling Windows File Sharing with "net stop server". Then, using
puTTY, I connect with my ports forwarded. I forward 80 and 139.
"http://127.0.0.1" yields my web server's start page, so I know
forwarding is working. When I "telnet 127.0.0.1 139" it connects to the
SMB server successfully. "netstat -ano" reveals that 127.0.0.1:80 and
127.0.0.1:139 are listening with puTTY.

However, trying to map a network drive fails. \\127.0.0.1\share yields
the error "The specified network name is no longer available." or
"Network path not found." I know the share is working because I can
access it without SSH at the same time.

Here are two lines from netstat when I have the telnet session open:
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:45535             127.0.0.1:139
     ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:139               127.0.0.1:45535
     ESTABLISHED

2. I have tried adding the loopback device as detailed all over the web
(ie http://www.blisstonia.com/eolson/notes/smboverssh.php ,
http://www.cheswick.com/ches/cheap/tunnelprob.html)
When I do this, I can access the webserver via the loopback device but
"telnet 10.0.0.1 139" times out. However, puTTY appears to be listening
on 10.0.0.1:80 and 10.0.0.1:139. I cannot add the share either. I have
done everything I can think of to get this to work.

In addition, I have disabled Windows listening on port 445 (as suggested
in one of the guides) I have tried giving puTTY the actually IP of the
samba server as the destination, I have ensured that 127. is allowed by
the smb.conf...

What could be going wrong here? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Richard

--
Richard D. Morey, M.A.
Research Assistant, Perception and Cognition Lab