[Samba] Re: Access Denied using Server Netbios Name

Jay Flory jflory at aeiconsultants.com
Fri Mar 2 16:49:39 GMT 2007

Dennis

For the last couple of weeks I have had this problem with a single XP
workstion.  It would only connect to our Samba server by IP address never by
netbios name.  Other workstions had no problem.

Today, I found the solution.  On the affected workstion, I manually changed
to clock to match the Domain servers.  Suddenly the problem went away?????
XP Professional is supposed to synchronize the workstations clock to the AD
Domain controller, however, this one wasn't.

Thanks
Jay

"Dennis Clark" <Dennis.Clark at patten.edu> wrote in message
news:s5d73c1f.051 at smtp.patten.edu...
Using Ubuntu 6.06.1, Samba 3.0.22, VMWare on Win2003 server.

I can connect using with admin user and ip address, but using admin and
netbios name prompts for password and results in access denied.  WINS is
enabled in Samba config.

Does Vmware or Ubuntu introduce weird problems or is something else going
on?  Running the net stat command results in error 5 trying to resolve
netbios name.