[Samba] Changing LDAP password from Windows XP

Andy Colvin acolvin at enkitec.com
Fri Mar 2 17:55:06 GMT 2007

I've got a very simple setup with Samba 3.0.24 running on Fedora Core 6,
talking to Fedora Directory Server 1.0.4.  I've got everything set up so
that I can add computers to the domain, add users using the smbldap-
tools, and have users logging in.  When a user tries to change their
password from within Windows (ctrl-alt-del) they get the error

  "the user name or old password is incorrect.  letters in passwords must
be typed using the correct case."

The strange thing is that the samba passwords (sambalmpassword,
sambantpassword) are changed in the LDAP server, but the general account
password (userpassword) is not changed.  I looked everywhere I could, and
couldn't find anything to cause this.  I can set passwords just fine using
smbldap-passwd and it will set all passwords.

Here is a copy of my smb.conf:

[global]
workgroup = MAIL
netbios name = YOURMOM
security = user
passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://mail.yourmom.net
ldap admin dn = cn=Directory Manager
ldap suffix = dc=yourmom,dc=net
ldap user suffix = ou=People
ldap idmap suffix = ou=People
ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
ldap passwd sync = yes
ldap delete dn = no
obey pam restrictions = no
encrypt passwords = yes
passwd program = /usr/sbin/smbldap-passwd %u
add machine script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w "%u"
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
os level = 255
domain logons = yes
domain master = yes