[Samba] [Joining a Samba Server as an ADS Domain Member]

Maxime Marquer maxime.marquer at wanadoo.fr
Thu Mar 1 11:40:16 GMT 2007

Hello,

I'm not really an expert with Unix, I'm rather a beginner with some bases.
I wanted to make a file server in unix (using debian)

My needs: a file server which can grant rights on a directory to a lot of users (for a college)

I make search on many website and found a configuration :
-SAMBA
-WINBIND
-KERBEROS

Firt question : Is it really usefull to connect my Samba server to the domain ?

My configuration :
http://thekyubi.free.fr/tmp/krb5.conf
http://thekyubi.free.fr/tmp/nsswitch.conf
http://thekyubi.free.fr/tmp/smb.conf

With this configuration I can Join the domain, the windows 2k server can see me.
I can list the groups, with the command "wbinfo -b"
I can login an user with "net ads join -UAdministrator%PASS"
But I cant use "wbinfo -u" => "Error looking up domain users"

(I follow among others this web help http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/unixclients.html#adssdm)

The kerberos winbind solution is not an obligation, I accept all sugestions.

Thanks in advance.

M.Marquer