[Samba] password alignment with /etc/passwd

Mac mac at nibsc.ac.uk
Thu Mar 1 10:39:35 GMT 2007

>Subject: Re: [Samba] password alignment with /etc/passwd
>From: simo <idra at samba.org>
>To: Markus.Franke at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
>Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 14:26:25 -0500
>>
>> Hmmm....I can't believe this. Let's consider the case that you have a
>> network with NFS/NIS Installation and Linux only clients and about 100
>> users. Now I want to add just one...only one windows box...and it should

And another possible way to populate the smbpasdswd(5) file is by
using:-

	update encrypted = yes

option in smb.conf(5).  You would still need to do the (previously
mentioned) enabling of plain-text passwords on the Windows PC (and also
use 'encrypted passwords=no', naturally).

The advantage of this approach is that you will, after a time, have
captured the SMB version of your users' passwords, and you can then
remove the 'plain-text enable' from the Windows box, turn off 'update
encrypted' and and turn 'encrypt passwords' back on.

Think of it as a migration strategy.

                               Mac
          Assistant Systems Administrator @nibsc.ac.uk
                           mac at nibsc.ac.uk
   Work: +44 1707 641565          Everything else: +44 7956 237670 (anytime)