[Samba] Accessing domain member server from WinXP

John McClurkin jwm at nei.nih.gov
Fri Jun 29 13:57:44 GMT 2007

Hello,
	I am trying to build a test network that uses Samba running on Linux
for domain control. The Samba version is 3.0.25a. The linux versions are
Fedora Core 6 and Fedora Core 3, both with all patches applied.
Authentication is by tdbsam.
	I have succeeded in setting up the Fedora Core 6 machine as a Primary
Domain Controller. I can add WinXp and Win2K machines to the domain on
the fly. Domain logons work. Roaming profiles work. Unix password
synchronization works.
	Now I want to set up the Fedora Core 3 machine (named lsr-oh5) as a
Domain Member Server with winbind authentication, but I am having some
problems.
This is the smb.conf file for lsr-oh5, the DMS machine:
[global]
	netbios name = LSR-OH5
	workgroup = LSR-DOMAIN
	encrypt passwords = yes
	server string = Samba Member Server
	security = domain
	password server = LSR-JWMTST
	encrypt passwords = yes
	idmap uid = 200000 - 300000
	idmap gid = 200000 - 300000
	winbind enum users = yes
	winbind enum groups = yes
	wins server = 10.1.0.209
	log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
	max log size = 50
	passdb backend = tdbsam
[tmp]
	comment = Temporary file space
	path = /tmp
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes
	browseable = yes

[public]
	comment = Public Stuff
	path = /home/samba
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes
	browseable = yes

The nscd deamon is not running on either the PDC or the DMS.
I can join the DMS to the domain with or without the -S argument; running
"net rpc join -S LSR-JWMTST -Ujwm%password"
or
"net rpc join -Ujwm%password"
gives
Joined domain LSR-DOMAIN

I copied libnss_winbind.os and libnss_wins.so to /lib and created
symlinks from the libraries to .so.2. I edited /etc/nsswitch.conf and
added winbind to the passwd and group serverices. After starting
winbindd running
"wbinfo -u" gave
LSR-DOMAIN\kaf
LSR-DOMAIN\jwm

"wbinfo -g" gave
BUILTIN\administrators
BUILTIN\users
LSR-DOMAIN\server admins
LSR-DOMAIN\domain admins

"getent passwd" gave
	snip
rivoxy:x:73:73::/etc/privoxy:/sbin/nologin
jwm:x:325:214:John W. McClurkin:/home/jwm:/bin/bash
LSR-DOMAIN\kaf:*:200001:200012::/home/LSR-DOMAIN/kaf:/bin/false
LSR-DOMAIN\jwm:*:200000:200012:John W.
McClurkin:/home/LSR-DOMAIN/jwm:/bin/false

"getent group" gave
	snip
lmodiv:x:214:jwm
jwm:x:325:
LSR-DOMAIN\server admins:x:200013:LSR-DOMAIN\jwm
LSR-DOMAIN\domain admins:x:200014:LSR-DOMAIN\jwm
BUILTIN\administrators:x:200000:LSR-DOMAIN\jwm
BUILTIN\users:x:200001:

After starting smbd and nmbd on the DMS, I logged into a WinXP
workstation named lsr-jwmvex that had been added to the domain as user
LSR-DOMAIN\jwm. LSR-OH5 is displayed in Network Neighborhood under
domain LSR-DOMAIN and running
"net view" in a command window gave

Server Name               Remark

\\LSR-JWMTST              Samba Primary Domain Controller
\\LSR-JWMVEX              Vex
\\LSR-OH5		  Samba Member Server

So far, so good. However running
"net view \\LSR-OH5" gave

System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not found.

Further, LSR-OH5 disappears from Network Neighborhood and the output of
the "net view" command after a short interval. I would appreciate it if
any one can give me an idea as to how to solve this problem.
Thanks