[Samba] RE: Samba testparm gives error in Solaris 10

Nigel richarn66293 at aim.com
Fri Jun 29 17:03:59 GMT 2007

Wed Jun 14 01:50:55 GMT 2006

<http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2006-June/121816.html>  LDAP Group
mapping
<http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2006-June/121845.html>  gives error in
Solaris 10
<http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2006-June/date.html#121817>  date ] [
<http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2006-June/thread.html#121817>  thread
] [ <http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2006-June/subject.html#121817>
subject ] [
<http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2006-June/author.html#121817>  author
]

  _____

Hello,

I am trying to set up Samba in a Solaris 10 system.
Solaris 10 already has Samba installed, so I just want
to make configuration changes in smb.conf and then
start the service. We already have a smb.conf file
from a RHEL 3 system where Samba works fine. So I
tried to use the same smb.conf file for Solaris. But
on running "testparm /etc/sfw/smb.conf", I get the
following error.
----------------------
Load smb config files from /etc/sfw/smb.conf
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[storelib_dev]"
Processing section "[root]"
map_file: Failed to load /usr/sfw/lib/upcase.dat - No
such file or directory
map_file: Failed to load /usr/sfw/lib/lowcase.dat - No
such file or directory
creating lame upcase table
creating lame lowcase table
map_file: Failed to load /usr/sfw/lib/valid.dat - No
such file or directory
creating default valid table
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = MYGROUP
        server string = Solaris box
        security = SHARE
        password server = None
        guest account = storelib
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        dns proxy = No
        guest ok = Yes
        cups options = raw

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

[storelib_dev]
        comment = Storelib Development
        path = /export/home
        read only = No

[root]
        path = /
        read only = No
-------------------

It seems that the system does not have the files
/usr/sfw/lib/upcase.dat, /usr/sfw/lib/lowcase.dat and
/usr/sfw/lib/valid.dat. I'm not sure if there is any
other problem.

How can I make this work? Thanks for any help.

Hi

I had the same problem when setting up Samba on a Solaris 10 platform.  In
the end I found that I just had to create symbolic links in /usr/sfw/lib/ to
/usr/sfw/lib/codepages/lowercase , /usr/sfw/lib/codepages/upcase.dat and
/usr/sfw/lib/codepages/valid.dat

e.g

cd /usr/sfw/lib/
ln -s ./codepages/lowercase lowercase
ln -s ./codepages/upcase.dat upcase.dat
ln -s ./codepages/valid.dat valid.dat
testparm now seems to run cleanly now

I do not understand however why the links are not created by the Solaris
install.

Regard