[Samba] Can create files, but not modify...

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 19:26:26 GMT 2007

> Hello,
>
> I set up a new computer with CentOS 5.0 and Samba V3.0.25a.
> I copied my "old stuff" from the existig PC to the new one, created my
> samba shares and tried to connect from a Windows XP Home Edition PC.
>
> Results:
> 1) I can open all old data
> 2) I can create new files
> 3) I cannot modify and open the new files
>
> This seems a bit odd.

Is this the word file that you tried to modify? If so there is a very
logical reason. When you save word does not modify a file it creates a
new one then deletes the old then renames the old to the new. In this
process the windows filesystems detect that and assign the new file
the permissions of the recently deleted file of the same name. This
wierd magic does not happen on linux filesystems so you have to do
what the other user said force directory modes...

John