[Samba] Possible Filesystem Corruption with Samba 3.0.25a (with XFS and LVM)

Andri aoeuid at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 09:32:12 GMT 2007

Asier Baranguán wrote:
> Jerome Haltom escribió:
>
>> XFS eats files. Did you lose power or did your system crash? XFS is very
>> good at losing files.
>
> Hmmm... I have two samba PDC running in a very faulty electrical
> connection, with power failures each week and XFS never hit/lose a file.

Jerome's answer was a bit off-topic anyways, because I clearly stated that my
incident had nothing to do with XFS per se, and the problem was that something
had overwritten most of my root partition.

I've found XFS to be stable in that category as well, like most other journaling
systems. I'm not the right person to say, but I'm sure changes to a directory's
listing are also journaled/atomic, so actually losing the connection to an inode
is rare.