[Samba] URGENT! Windows Server 2003 SP2 broke samba

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Jun 27 02:58:45 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 26 June 2007 15:17, boxyzzy at netscape.net wrote:
> Reading the "How To Compile Samba" leads me to this question. Must I
> compile Samba with AD support as described in that document in order
> for the Samba server to be able to have userids/passwords authenticated
> by a W2K3/SP2 AD?

It is preferable to compile with LDAP and Kerberos support - not essential.

> I only need to be able to continue to provide access to users' Unix
> home directories from their PCs via a Windows login script that
> includes: net use s: \\sambasvr\username  (where username is the same
> for both Unix and Windows).
>
> Gee! I wish I had seen this coming!

Windows updates change key networking DLLs. The result if often a need for
Samba to support new network operations. It is therefore a really good
practice to keep your Samba up to date, add to that the security fixes etc.
and it is an even more desirable practice to keep with the flow.

In the absence of Samba updates you will almost certainly eventually
experience client connectivity problems - time and circumstance have a way of
doing that at the most inopportune moment.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra
Samba-Team Member

Author:
The Official Samba-3 HOWTO & Reference Guide, 2 Ed., ISBN: 0131882228
Samba-3 by Example, 2 Ed., ISBN: 0131882221X
Hardening Linux, ISBN: 0072254971
Other books in production.