Samba-AD HowTo Was: RE: [Samba] Can't get single sign on to work after joining linux toan AD domain

Address for list subcriptions lists at rmt.com.au
Wed Jun 27 01:25:49 GMT 2007

Hi all,

i've just gone through a fairly long and involved troubleshooting process trying to do something similar to the problem described below and just as a general observation, the documentation available for joining a Samba Server to an AD domain tends to be disjointed and difficult to find.  The Samba By Example doesn't really mention Samba in an AD network at all and the Official HOWTO is useful but somewhat limited.  Is there an effort underway to bring this all together in an AD HOWTO at all?

i would be happy to lend my ignorance to any efforts in that direction as a pair of eyes with very little Samba knowledge behind them (i'm a Windows Admin by trade).  i considered attempting to write it myself but i'm not sure that my experience would be sufficient to make a decent job of it.

Perhaps someone from the Samba team could comment, or contact me regarding producing an AD integrated Samba HOWTO.  As i said, i'm happy to provide what assistance i can or if required, to make the attempt on my own at least to get a first draft together.  i'll warn you though, my drafts may be in MS Word format  ;)

Finally, if i'm missing some critical URL and the doco i'm after is just sitting there waiting for me to find it, would someone please point it out?  Please?

Cheers,

m.

Michael Cleghorn
System & Network Administrator

Risk Management Technologies
5 Ventnor Avenue
West Perth  WA  6005
AUSTRALIA

Tel: +61 8 9322 1711
Fax: +61 8 9322 1794

Web: www.rmt.com.au

Please Note: The contents of this e-mail transmission are intended solely for the named recipients and may be confidential, privileged, or otherwise protected from disclosure in the public interest. The use, reproduction, disclosure, or distribution of the contents of this e-mail transmission by any person other than the named recipients is expressly prohibited. If you are not a named recipient please notify the sender immediately.