[Samba] Possible Filesystem Corruption with Samba 3.0.25a (with XFS and LVM)

Andri aoeuid at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 18:33:35 GMT 2007

Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-06-26 at 12:00 -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:
>> On 6/26/2007, Andri (aoeuid at gmail.com) wrote:
>>> I've done occasional memtests for a few days straight, and all have
>>> ended successfully. If it wasn't one of those one-in-a-quintillion
>>> chances that the sun flipped the necessary bits in memory, I'm
>>> betting on software bugs.
>> Memtest is hardly a reliable test for memory. I have had bad memory pass
>> test for days on end.
>> The best way I've ever found to reliably find bad memory is compile
>> something big, like X. If your memory is bad, you'll find out pretty
>> quick...
>
> The real solution is to use ECC memory. :)

It's a headless server without X, but I've compiled plenty of other applications
on it without issues. That includes Linux. The chance that a bit flipping on the
exact location that directs Samba's (or the filesystem's or what-not's) output,
and it ending up on another (and raw) device is something I really can't believe
happening.

Like the XFS guys said, memory corruption errors might not necessarily be
because of faulty hardware.

Even if this issue is related to the SATA controller's driver, I wish to find
out the origin of the data structures I've pasted twice now, because I believe
tracing them might hold the key to this mystery. Of course, I lack the expertise
to scan a driver's source code for such possible mistakes, but at least I can
let the author know and ask for their assistance.

Blaming hardware for uncommon and unexpected behavior is not always the
reasonable thing to do.