[Samba] Samba and LDAP: Trouble adding Win XP machines to the domain

mikelOn mikel.santos at idom.es
Tue Jun 26 08:23:31 GMT 2007

Hi all,

I am doing some research on Samba+OpenLDAP (+DHCP+DNS) with the intention of
getting rid of the Micro$oft licenses necessary to maintain the Server
products from such company. One of the aims I have is to demonstrate other
people in my company that an open source alternative can work as well as (or
even better than) a propietary solution.

At the moment, I am getting desperated trying to find out what is going
wrong when I try to add a Win XP machine to the domain I have recently
created.

I have read about 6-7 tutorials to date and changed the *.conf files a
hundred times and still the Win XP machine refuses to join the domain. I
have already searched the samba forums and checked the bugs present in the
version I am using and I have found nothing related to my problem.

The technical details are the following:

When I attempt to join the domain via the GUI, Win tells me "username could
not be found" and so does when I try the same thing via CLI (the domain is
called "eremu" and the user, password and machinename are ok):

8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C:\>netdom /domain:eremu /user:root /password:SECRETPASS member mikelvm
/joindomain
NetDom 1.8 @1997-98. Written by Christophe Robert - Microsoft.

Searching PDC for domain EREMU ...
Found PDC \\SAMBA
Connecting to \\SAMBA with user account root ...
Querying domain information on PDC \\SAMBA ...
Querying domain information on computer \\MIKELVM ...
Verifying if computer account exists on \\SAMBA ...
Connecting to \\SAMBA with user account root ...
Resetting secure channel ...
Changing computer account on PDC \\SAMBA ...
The username could not be found.

8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

¿Have you ever experienced such error? I have read about some people that
have dealt with such error, but they have posted no solution at all.

FYI, I can access samba shares using the same user (root) but the machine
cannot join the domain. I have fixed all the machine policies and registry
stuff (requiresignorseal and so on...) and still nothing.

Also, the command:
ldapsearch -x -h localhost -D 'cn=root,dc=eremu,dc=org' -W '(ou=Users)'
works like a charm.

The smb.conf is the following:

8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

        netbios name = SAMBA
        workgroup = EREMU
        server string = Servidor centralizado
        security = user
        enable privileges = yes
        interfaces = lo eth0
#       bind interfaces = yes
        encrypt passwords = yes
        domain master = yes
        preferred master = yes
        null passwords = yes
        hide unreadable = yes
        hide dot files = yes
        browseable = yes
        domain logons = yes
        logon script = login.bat  OR %U.bat
        logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
        logon drive = Z:
        logon home = \\%L\%U\.9xprofile
        time server = yes
        printcap name = cups
        printing = cups
        show add printer wizard = no
        wins support = yes
        name resolve order = wins lmhosts host bcast
        dns proxy = no
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        log level = 1
        max log size = 10000
        unix charset = ISO8859-1
        dos charset = 850
        # LDAP
        add user script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -m "%u"
        delete user script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-userdel -r "%u"
        add group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupadd "%g"
        delete group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupdel "%g"
        add user to group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -m "%u" "%g"
        delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -x "%u"
"%g"
        set primary group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-usermod -g "%g" "%u"
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w "%u"
        passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://localhost:389/
        ldap delete dn = Yes
        ldap ssl = no
        ldap suffix = dc=eremu,dc=org
        ldap admin dn = cn=root,dc=eremu,dc=org
        ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
        ldap user suffix = ou=Users
        ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
        ldap idmap suffix = ou=Idmap
        ldap passwd sync = yes

[netlogon]
        path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
        guest ok = Yes
        browseable = no
        write list = root
[profiles]
        path = /var/lib/samba/profiles
        writable = yes
        browsable = no
        create mode = 0644
        directory mode = 0755
        guest ok = yes
[homes]
        path = /home/%U
        browseable = no
        valid users = %S
        read only = no
        create mask = 0664
        directory mask = 0775
8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The slapd.conf is the following:

8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

include         /etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/nis.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/samba.schema

password-hash {md5}

pidfile         /var/run/openldap/slapd.pid
argsfile        /var/run/openldap/slapd.args
loglevel        1024

database        bdb
suffix          "dc=eremu,dc=org"
checkpoint      32      30 # <kbyte> <min>
rootdn          "cn=root,dc=eremu,dc=org"
rootpw          {MD5}HEREGOESTHEHASH
directory       /var/lib/openldap-data

        index   sambaSID                                        eq
        index   sambaPrimaryGroupSID                            eq
        index   sambaDomainName                                 eq
        index   objectClass,uid,uidNumber,gidNumber,memberUid   eq
        index   cn,mail,surname,givenname
eq,subinitial
        index   default                                         eq
        index   phpgwContactOwner                               pres,eq,sub

access  to attrs=userPassword
          by self               write
          by anonymous          auth
          by *                  none

access to attrs=userPassword,sambaLMPassword,sambaNTPassword
        by self write
        by anonymous auth
        by * none

access to *
        by self write
        by * read

8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The smbldap.conf is the following:

8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# Put your own SID. To obtain this number do: "net getlocalsid".
# If not defined, parameter is taking from "net getlocalsid" return
SID="S-1-5-21-3696253194-4255541209-1824430252"

sambaDomain="eremu"

slaveLDAP="localhost"
slavePort="389"
masterLDAP="localhost"
masterPort="389"

ldapTLS="0"
verify="none"
hash_encrypt="MD5"

suffix="dc=eremu,dc=org"
usersdn="ou=Users,${suffix}"
computersdn="ou=Computers,${suffix}"
groupsdn="ou=Groups,${suffix}"
idmapdn="ou=Idmap,${suffix}"
sambaUnixIdPooldn="sambaDomainName=eremu,${suffix}"
scope="sub"

crypt_salt_format="%s"

userLoginShell="/bin/bash"
userHome="/home/%U"
userHomeDirectoryMode="700"
userGecos="System User"
defaultUserGid="513"
defaultComputerGid="515"
skeletonDir="/etc/skel"
defaultMaxPasswordAge="45"

userSmbHome="\\SAMBA\%U"
userProfile="\\SAMBA\profiles\%U"

userHomeDrive="Z:"

mailDomain="eremu.org"

with_smbpasswd="0"
smbpasswd="/usr/bin/smbpasswd"

with_slappasswd="0"
slappasswd="/usr/sbin/slappasswd"

Should you need further details, please just let me know.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

P.S.: ¿Can it have anything to do with other stuff such as the DNS server?