[Samba] Possible Filesystem Corruption with Samba 3.0.25a (with XFS and LVM)

Adam Tauno Williams adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 14:45:38 GMT 2007

> This is a major issue, but due to the lack of helpful info, I'm forced
> to ask in various places.
> Perhaps Deluge Torrent's allocation routines got Samba confused?

Most likely something in the Kernel got them mucked up.  Or your
hardware is junk.

> There aren't many suspects -- either Samba, XFS (which probably is
> more common than Samba, so less likely)

No, XFS would be my first suspect with LVM a close second, and hardware
a third.  I'd eat my hat if Samba had anything to do with this other
than dispatching a write request (which it is the kernels job to deal
with sanely).  Samba or other applications do not deal with disk
geometry.

> or the rest of the kernel (which, again, is unlikely).

Why?

> LVM is so low level and less complex than all others,

False.

> so chances of it messing up like this are microscopic.

Why?

> Syslog-and-friends don't even care about files,

What does this mean?  Of course they "care about files"

> The peculiar thing is, that the info that was written on top of
> /dev/hdb3 contains the filepaths of /storage, so I'm betting it had

Ah, IDE hardware.  So that puts it solidly on the suspect list.

> something to do with Samba

EXTREMELY doubtful.

--
Adam Tauno Williams, Network & Systems Administrator
Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com