[Samba] KDC Lookup errors only on ads joins.

Don McCall donmccall1 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 25 21:55:54 GMT 2007

Hi,
As I recall, 3.0.25a creates it's OWN krb5.conf file based on info it gets back from the DC to try to handle site stuff (so it uses the 'nearest' kdc, etc).  I forget exactly how this mech. works, but if the kdc returned with the site info (which subsequently gets built into samba's personal 'krb5.conf' file) is down, or replication is off, your kinit would work, (because it's using the kdc in the /etc/krb5.conf) but the join would fail.  Look for a file like samba_krb5.conf in your samba directory structure, and see what IT has for the KDC for the realm you're trying to join.  Bet if you plug that into your /etc/krb5.conf file, the kinit would fail as well.  I think this indicates a problem on the ADS side, but hopefully someone on the samba team can verify this...
Don