[Samba] LTSP and Samba

Adam Tauno Williams adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 20:30:10 GMT 2007

> I have a question about the possibility of integration of LTSP and
> Authentication over Samba.
> Its possible to have a LTSP server who authenticate the user on a Samba PDC

Of course, the LTSP server is a LINUX box.  GDM/XDM authenticate users
via PAM.

> box and this samba box retrieves these information from an ldap server who
> will hold all the users information ?

Of course, Samba can use an LDAP SAM.  Although one would wonder why you
would want to introduce Samba here.  Just authenticate users via LDAP
directly.

> And what are the best configuration for a pc to use samba for this prupose
> for about 60 users ?

An LTSP server to support 60 users?  Or a Samba server to support sixty
users?

An LTSP server - A WHOLE LOT OF POWER!
A Samba server - depends on the users, but you might be able to get by
with surprisingly little.

--
Adam Tauno Williams, Network & Systems Administrator
Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com