[Samba] modification time inconsistency

Carlos Knowlton cknowlton at science.edu
Thu Jun 21 01:56:55 GMT 2007

Hello,

I have a client with a windows utility that relies on "touch"ing
(changing the mod time) on zero-length files in a folder for the purpose
of judging when that folder was last accessed.  This works fine for him
on mapped windows servers, and from the local disk, but from a Samba
(v3.0.22) volume, the mod time doesn't change unless there was an actual
data change within the file.  (ie, clicking "save" in notepad doesn't
change the mod time unless he enters some data first.).  I know this
seems pretty trivial, but it seems to make all the difference for some
backup and SCADA software packages.

Any ideas what I could do to fix this?

This is what the smb.conf looks like:

[global]
        security = user
        netbios name = Server1
        server string = Server1
        workgroup = WG
        comment = File Server
        os level = 1
        create mode = 771
        force create mode = 771
        directory mode = 771
        force directory mode = 771
        force user = administrator
        force group = users
        map to guest = Bad User
        null passwords = Yes
        passdb backend = tdbsam, smbpasswd
        case sensitive = No
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        template shell = /bin/bash
        dont descend = /proc,/dev,/etc,/usr
        winbind cache time = 10
        log level = 1
        max log size = 2000

[Public]
        writeable = yes
        only user = yes
        write list = @Public
        path = /home/users/Public
        comment = Public Share
        valid users = @Public
        user = @Public

Thank you!
Carlos Knowlton

PS,  I'm not on the list, so please CC my return address in your
response, thanks!