[Samba] valid users directory containing local groups

Jerome Haltom wasabi at larvalstage.net
Tue Jun 12 17:49:41 GMT 2007

I have a remote user, ISI\jhaltom, which is mapped to the local Unix
user ISI\jhaltom using Winbind, idmap_ad and sfu. No entry for ISI
\jhaltom appears in /etc/passwd. In /etc/group I have a local group
"admin" who contains ISI\jhaltom in it's member list. When I change user
to ISI\jhaltom and type groups, it shows him as a member of "admin". I
have a share with valid users set to @admin. The user jhaltom cannot
access the share, NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED. Logs show that "ISI\jhaltom
is not a member of valid users".

Is Samba tracing down these local group memberships in the same way that
NSS is?