[Samba] Samba Client with Windows XP share slow performance

aragonx at dcsnow.com aragonx at dcsnow.com
Tue Jun 19 19:22:34 GMT 2007

I'm getting awful performance when trying to write to our new NAS and/or a
Windows XP share.  In short, I'm getting just under 1/2 the speed that I
can get if I mount a Linux share on the Windows box and send the files
that way.  Here are the test results:

>From XP to Linux via FTP 47MB/sec
>From XP to Linux via SAMBA 40MB/sec
>From Linux to XP via CIFS 21MB/sec

Now, this is much better than the performance I am getting from our SuSE
9.3 stock servers using the 2.6.5 kernel.  This can only get about
10MB/sec.  We have tried many different socket options with little to show
for the effort.7

Is this to be expected?  Is there no way to get the performance the same?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Will

believed to be clean.