[Samba] NFS quotas: truncated files without warning

SER.RI-TIC - David Losada david.losada at urv.cat
Mon Jun 18 18:48:09 GMT 2007

Hi Jeremy,

actually, I have adapted your patch for applying to the current RHEL4
Samba release (samba-3.0.10-1.4E.12.2). Would you mind to check if I
have made any flagrant mistakes? If anyone reads this and decides to try
it, please bear in mind it's experimental.

Summary of what I have modified from your patch:

* no patch for smbd/aio.c , because it's just not there yet in this release
* in smbd/fileio.c:sync_file() , doesn't check for the "sync always"
directive, the check's not originally there
* in smbd/fileio.c:sync_file() , for accessing the fd, it's just
"fsp->fd", not "fsp->fh->fd"
* in smbd/reply.c:reply_write() , ignored the hunk around
CHECK_WRITE(fsp), because in this release that check is not made
* took into account that the checking of conditions for forcing
synchronization (lp_strict_sync, lp_sync_always, write_through) hadn't
yet been refactored into the fileio.c:sync_file() function

If patching from a vanilla samba-3.0.10 release, should apply the
"smbd_deferred_open_backport" patch first. I'm also attaching it for
convenience.

If your patch makes it to next Samba official release, and this patch
receives your blessing, could we put them in consideration of RedHat for
an errata? The fact it helps to avoid silent data corruption in an
scenario like ours, should be interesting for them.

kind regards,

En/na Jeremy Allison ha escrit: