[Samba] [3.0.23d] Subdirectories of share root appear empty (sometimes)

Chris Smith smb23 at realcomputerguy.com
Mon Jun 18 17:36:24 GMT 2007

On Monday 18 June 2007, James Farmer wrote:

Probably nothing to do with your problem but I wonder about some of the
settings.

>     remote announce = 192.168.1.255

This appears to be the network you are on - why is there a need for a remote
announce?

>     local master = yes
>     os level = 128
>     domain master = yes
>     preferred master = yes
>     domain logons = yes
>     name resolve order = host bcast

Looks like you're running a domain controller. Probably should use WINS, make
sure your clients register themselves and "wins" to the "name resolve order".
     name resolve order = wins host bcast

>     force create mode = 0664
>     create mode = 0664
>     force directory mode = 0775
>     directory mode = 0775

Seems to me that "create mode"/"directory mode" would be logically mutually
exclusive with "force create mode"/"force directory mode". Let the force be
with you and remove the non-force directives from your shares.

Of course running a newer version of samba may help as well.

Chris