[Samba] samba3, nfs mounted directory, and dfs

adrian sender adrian_au1 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 18 06:25:44 GMT 2007

Hi Dave

Mount --bind

Symlink only points at a directory, creates a link to that directory but
doesn’t act like one.

Symlinks can be accidentally removed and create management issues; therefore
in some cases it is acceptable to create a hard link that is not breakable.

One way to achieve this is with mount –bind

[root at localhost ~]# mount --bind /test/ /mnt/bind/

>From: "Dave" <dmehler26 at woh.rr.com>
>To: <samba at lists.samba.org>
>Subject: [Samba] samba3, nfs mounted directory, and dfs
>Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 11:30:39 -0400
>Hello,
>    I hope this is the right place to ask this one.
>    I've got a FreeBSD 6.2 machine acting as an nfs server. It's exporting
>a home directory to several machines. On the server that home directory has
>a symlink in it to another directory on the filesystem. As long as users
>are on the server they can view the directory symlinked to, but if viewing
>through samba, they're logged on to another machine, that directory
>obviously doesn't show up because the endpoint doesn't exist on the nfs
>clients. I'm wondering would dfs fix this? If so, would i have to do it on
>the server or client boxes?
>Thanks.
>Dave.

Advertisement: 1000s of Sexy Singles online now at Lavalife
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D29219&_t=762256209&_r=june07_endtext_search&_m=EXT