[Samba] samba not responding to linux __break_lease() call.

Fri Jun 15 21:40:11 GMT 2007

On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 05:16:00PM -0400, Robert Rappaport wrote:
> server making an fcntl() call to release the lease.  I clearly see the
> __break_lease() calls occurring but then I observe a long period (45 seconds
> the lease timeout period) where nothing happens.

"nothing happens" meaning exactly what? Is the signal being
delivered to the smbd process? If it is, then it is a
potential smbd problem. If it's not, there's not much you
can do about it.

Question: Are you implementing the full beauty of the
Windows oplock levels? Or "just" what the Linux Kernel does
right now? If I'm right then things like batch oplocks are
not supported by Linux right now.

I'm asking because if you want to support Windows clients
across your cluster you have two options: Use the Samba/ctdb
combo to get full Windows semantics or do the full Windows
semantics in the kernel. Naturally I'd vote for the ctdb
thing and only provide the minimum necessary to local
processes and NFS. The Windows semantics are quite tricky,
after 15 years of working with it we're still finding new
behaviour :-)

Volker