[Samba] NFS quotas: truncated files without warning

David Losada david.losada at urv.cat
Fri Jun 15 16:44:47 GMT 2007

Hi,

we have some Samba instances serving files from a bunch of NFS exports
provided by a NAS appliance. Coming from Solaris, we recently have been
testing to run our Samba servers on Linux (RHEL 4, Samba 3.0.10-1.4E.12.2).

One caveat we didn't expect is that, on Linux, NFS quota errors are
reported on calls to close() or fsync(), but not on calls to write().
Through smbclient, we have checked that Samba correctly reports the
error to the client (NT_STATUS_DISK_FULL closing remote file ...).
However, Windows 2000 clients silently ignore this error when closing
the file, leaving the file truncated with no warning to the user
(something we really don't want to happen!)

We have tried "strict sync = yes" and "sync always = yes" configuration
directives, to no avail. Have also googled trying to find an answer, but
couldn't find one.

I don't think we are the only ones with this kind of setup.. anyone has
an idea of how to handle this scenario correctly?

kind regards,