[Samba] Multiple problems: installing SWAT, no longer access to a restored (after deletion) share, ACL inheritance

Any None sambaml at yahoo.de
Fri Jun 15 10:59:00 GMT 2007

Hello Aaron,

>What kind of authentication are you doing on the clients? (i.e. Active
>Directory, etc.)

Authentication is done by Linux/Samba, and Samba is PDC. I just added a few users to the Linux box and then added them to Samba.

>Can you sanitize and post your smb.conf configuration? This is often
>found in /etc/samba/smb.conf.

OK, I'll attach it at the end. Not much to sanitize, this is purely a test server.

I think I forgot to mention: I have also a public share and another user share. These 2 still work, but the once deleted one no longer accepts any users.
 I can tell
you that we have Samba on Ubuntu integrated into Active Directory using
ACLs and it works almost 100% as you would expect a file server to
behave. One caveat seems to be setting the archive bit when a file is
Does Samba need to run in an Active Directory integrated mode to get ACLs to work?

Here's the cleaned up smbconf:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2007/06/12 12:01:55

[global]
    workgroup = LINUXNET
    realm = removed for privacy reasons
    netbios name = LINUXSERVER
    map to guest = Bad User
    printcap name = cups
    add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd  -c Machine -d /var/lib/nobody -s /bin/false %m$
    logon path = \\%L\profiles\.msprofile
    logon drive = P:
    logon home = \\%L\%U\.9xprofile
    domain logons = Yes
    os level = 65
    preferred master = Yes
    domain master = Yes
    ldap ssl =  no
    idmap uid = 10000-20000
    idmap gid = 10000-20000
    template shell = /bin/bash
    winbind refresh tickets = Yes
    cups options = raw
    include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf

[netlogon]
    comment = Network Logon Service
    path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
    write list = root

[ivy]
    comment = Ivy's Share
    path = /home/ivy/sharedfolder
    read only = No
    inherit acls = Yes

[public]
    comment = Public Folder
    path = /home/GlobalShare
    read only = No
    inherit permissions = Yes
    inherit acls = Yes
    guest only = Yes
    guest ok = Yes
    max  connections = 100
    case sensitive = No
    dos filemode = Yes

[test]
    comment = Share test
    path = /home/test/netwerkshare
    valid users = test, john
    read only = No
    inherit acls = Yes
    max connections = 10
    case sensitive = No
    store dos attributes = Yes
    dos filetime resolution = Yes

Aaron Kincer <kincera at gmail.com> schrieb: Neko,

What kind of authentication are you doing on the clients? (i.e. Active
Directory, etc.)

Can you sanitize and post your smb.conf configuration? This is often
found in /etc/samba/smb.conf.

It took me a while to get the hang of Samba and I'm still learning, so
don't give up. The rewards are well worth it in my opinion. I can tell
you that we have Samba on Ubuntu integrated into Active Directory using
ACLs and it works almost 100% as you would expect a file server to
behave. One caveat seems to be setting the archive bit when a file is
changed. At least one program refuses to set it--Microsoft Word 2003. I
haven't tested other versions of Word nor done exhaustive testing with
other applications. In general, this isn't catastrophic but can cause
headaches for backup software that utilize the archive bit flag. There
is a workaround for that so that you can satisfy your backup software,
but it's an ugly hack in my opinion.

If you haven't already, I highly recommend you spend time reading the
man pages on smb.conf and read through it entirely at least once even if
you are simply skimming through it. I think you will find some
interesting options in there.

Aaron Kincer