[Samba] Very slow initial opening MS-Word and MS-Excel files from Samba

Aaron Kincer kincera at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 21:00:06 GMT 2007

I fixed this by using the following in login scripts for every share
each domain account was supposed to have:

net use driveletter: /delete
net use driverletter: \\newserver\newsharelocation

This fixed 99% of the invalid shares we had. There were a few people
that had manually mapped drives. I just removed their mappings and added
their mapped drives to their login scripts to set it correctly and that
solved the issue.

I eventually turned this off after I was satisfied all bad mappings had
been resolved. Of course, it was the complaint of a user who uses
offline files heavily that really helped nudge me into turning it off.
The delete command was mucking up his sync process when he logged in
first thing in the morning. Offline files sync as soon as they possibly
can. Login scripts continue run if they are taking a while to complete
despite syncing. The whole delete and recreating of a share seems to
take just long enough so that a share can be delete while syncing is
going on. The sync process gets very moody when you take away its mapped
drive during sync.