[Samba] directory list is not alphabetically sorted

Alain.Gorlier at altissemiconductor.com Alain.Gorlier at altissemiconductor.com
Thu Jun 14 16:32:48 GMT 2007

> Not really. Samba just does not sort the directory before
shipping it to the client. For huge directories this would
be way too expensive. We could certainly implement this, but
so far we have viewed directory sorting to be a client task,
and we got away with it pretty well. If critical
applications change under that behaviour, our view might
change though.

Since we have Windows and OS2 application viewers of huge directories, it
impacts our users.
They have now to scroll big number of pages or use search functions with
patterns multiple times.
There are not critical applications, but it is a bit of pain for users.

Anyway, is there a rule of the way samba server lists filenames ?
If we stop/start samba server, the directory list order is kept, so it
sounds like there is a rule, but which ?

Thanks,