[Samba] cifs mount issue (cannot read files)

Pappas, Bill Bill.Pappas at STJUDE.ORG
Thu Jun 14 16:19:10 GMT 2007

In version 3.0.23a (as a file server), I've noticed that CIFS clients
(mount samba shares as cifs) get read errors.

For example, if the vi a text file on the share, they get a read error.

If the more a text file, nothing comes back, but the prompt.

In 3.0.10 (pre configured by Centos, not compiled by me) this is not a
problem.

Here are my 3.0.23a options during configure:

./configure --prefix /usr/local/samba-3.0.23a --with-smbmount --with-pam
--with-pam_smbpass --with-acl-support --disable-iprint --disable-cups

I noticed that cifs mount is enabled my default:

# ./configure --help| grep -i cifs

  --with-cifsmount        Include mount.cifs and umount.cifs (Linux
only) suppo

Any suggestions?  Is there a fix in 3.0.25a?

Thanks,

Bill Pappas - System Integration Engineer - SAN

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

332 North Lauderdale

Memphis, TN 38105

Danny Thomas Tower - Room D1010